MenEngage Alliance Introduction:
MenEngage Alliance is a global alliance made up of dozens of country networks spread across many regions of the world, hundreds of non-governmental organizations, as well as UN partners.
The Alliance members work collectively and individually towards advancing gender justice, human rights and social justice to achieve a world in which all can enjoy healthy, fulfilling and equitable relationships and their full potential.
Through its country-level and regional networks, MenEngage seeks to provide a collective voice on the need to engage men and boys in gender equality, to build and improve the field of practice around engaging men in achieving gender justice, and advocating before policymakers at the local, national, regional and international levels.
Since March 2015, the secretariat of MenEngage Alliance in Pakistan is being hosted by Shirakat-Partnership for Development, which is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-partisan organization working for equality and social justice.
In Pakistan, the alliance consists of 47 NGO’s and 23 individual members who integrated men and masculinities agenda and MenEngage principles in their programs. MenEngage members advocate around a number of key issues where gender directly affects the lives of women and men. The members are working on men and masculinities, gender based violence, violence against women, sexual & reproductive health and rights, HIV and AIDS, ending violence against women and girls, economic empowerment of women, child sexual abuse, human rights, fatherhood, youth rights, rural development, democracy, peace building, conflict resolution and transformation and livelihoods in development as well as humanitarian response.
Purpose of the Alliance is to:
(1) act as a civil society pressure group on achieving gender equality, promoting health and reducing violence;
(2) carry out advocacy for the purpose of institutional, policy and legislative reform and aim at to provide equal opportunities to both men and women;
(3) engage men and boys for gender equality and ending violence;
(4) promote cross regional sharing and linkages by bringing in regional expertise working on the theme of masculinities;
(5) generate more research on making masculinities visible in various social and behavioral settings, and create opportunities of learning and engagement of men and boys to reflect and challenge all forms of practices which contributes to violence and inequalities , etc;
(6) prevent gender based violence through active involvement of men and boys;
(7) engage in media discourse and provide information for the general public and policy makers.
MenEngage Alliance Pakistan is using different strategies to combat gender based violence such as;
- Research based policy and advocacy;
- Networking and capacity building.